Important Events of 16 May
- On May 16, the political crisis in France started in 1877.
- The first Academy Award in Hollywood was given in 1929.
- Roger Federer won the Hamburg Masters title in 2004.
- Designated Naomi Watts, nominated for the Oscar award for Hollywood’s most popular actor, was made the UN ambassador to the United Nations Organization.
- New Zealand’s 47-year-old Mark Inglis became the first mountaineer who, with artificial legs, hoisted the flag in 2006 on top of the Everest.
- Nicolas Sarkozy began his tenure as President on May 16, 2007.
- The Supreme Court dismissed the decision of the Calcutta High Court in 2008 to stop 27% OBC quota in post-secondary courses of Central Educational Institutions in 2008.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reached Thimphu on a two-day visit to Bhutan in 2008.
- In the Azlan Shah Cup hockey competition, the last winner, India and South Korea, could not play the match because of raining, the joint winner was announced in 2010.
- In the final match of the 20-20 World Cup held in the West Indies, England achieved the target of 147 runs by losing three wickets, and for the first time in World Winner 2010.
- Six passengers and two crew members died after the Antonov AN-28 aircraft crashed in 2010 after flying from Godo Holo airport in eastern Suriname.
- For the first time, American scientists had success in removing stem cells from human embryonic stem cells.
- Rustomji, a big businessman of India, died on the same day.
- Rustomji was a member of Modi Tata Group and former Chairman and Managing Director of Tata Steel in 2014.
- There was an explosion in Nairobi, in which about 12 people died in 2014.
Read more: Important events of 15 May
Born on 16 May
- Raghunath Narasinha Mudholkar was born in 1857, he was an Indian politician who worked as President of the Indian National Congress for a period of time.
- Indian politician and scholar, former Foreign Minister, Government of India Natwar Singh was born in 1931.
- The famous litterateur Gulsher Khan Shani was born in 1933.
Death on 16 May
- Famous writer and linguist of Oriya language Gopal Chandra Praharaj died in 1945.
- India’s famous industrialist and top leader of the Tata Group, Russi Mody, died in 2014.
Important events and festivities of 16 May
- Sikkim Foundation Day