1 August (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 1 August
- Christopher Columbus, the famous explorer sailor, landed in 1498 in Isla Santa of Venezuela.
- The independence of Switzerland was given formality in 1648 and today it was declared the national day of this country.
- The new London Bridge was opened in 1831 for traffic.
- Inland Post Service in Great Britain was started in 1883.
- Colorado Americas 38th state was created in 1876.
- The first China and Japan war began in 1894.
- Germany declared war on Russia at the beginning of World War I in 1914.
- With the help of Bal Gangadhar Tilak, in the name of freedom fighter and ‘Iron Lady’, Mrs Annie Besant started the Home Rule League movement in collaboration with Home Rule League President Dadabhai Naoroji in 1916.
- Mahatma Gandhi started the Non-Cooperation Movement in 1920.
- In 1920, Mahatma Gandhi returned the Kaiser A Hind Award given by the British government.
- Dictator Adolf Hitler chaired the Olympic Games in Berlin in 1936.
- Partition of powers between India and Pakistan in 1947.
- Lord Mountbatten, the governor-general of India and the Governor General of Pakistan, Mohammad Ali Jinnah, became in 1947.
- First Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru inaugurated Nationalized Airways in Safdarjung in 1952.
- Former Cuban President Fidel Castro was arrested in 1953.
- Nationalization of all airlines in the country was done in 1953.
- National Book Trust was established in 1957.
- Acharya Vinoba Bhave was awarded Raman Magsaysay Award in 1958.
- The 1960s Karachi of Pakistan’s capital changed to Islamabad.
- Durba Banerjee became the world’s first commercial female pilot in 1975.
- In 1992, the then Prime Minister Narasimha Rao dedicated the Vizag Steel Plant to the nation.
- Hubble telescope discovered another moon of Saturn in 1995.
- Women in Iran also became Imam in 2000.
- Sri Lanka won the Asia Cup by defeating India by 25 runs in the final match held at Premadasa Stadium in 2004. Sanat Jayasuriya becomes ‘Man of the Series’.
- Japan launched the world’s first earthquake early warning service in 2006.
- Cuban leader Fidel Castro handed all his power to his brother Raul on 1 August 2006.
- In the International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) held in Hanoi city of Vietnam, six members of the Indian team won three silver medals in 2007.
- The Board of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) have a green signal to India’s Special Monitoring Agreement in 2008.
- Peepli Live, based on Anusha Rizvi-directed suicide of farmers and media and political drama, was organized in 2010 by the 31st Durban International Film Festival.
- In the Philippines, Taiwan and China in 2012, 82 people died in Saola and 1.5 million homeless.
Read More: Important events of 31 July
Born on 1 August
- Harkort Butler, the first Governor of Uttar Pradesh, was born in 1869.
- Freedom Fighter Purushottam Das Tandon was born in 1882.
- The first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru’s wife Kamala Nehru was born in 1899.
- Indian cricketer Mohammad Nisar was born in 1910.
- The famous film actor and film producer-director Lord Dada was born in 1913.
- American tennis player Jack Kramer was born in 1921.
- Former West Indian cricketer Frank Worrell was born in 1924.
- King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia was born in 1924.
- Hindi movie actress Meena Kumari was born in 1932.
- The famous literary Govinda Mishra was born in 1939.
- Former Indian cricketer Arun Lal was born in 1955.
- The doubles tennis player Martin Dame was born in 1972.
Died on 1 August
- One of the famous poets of Emperor Akbar died in 1599 at the Mughal court.
- Zinda Rani, the fifth queen of Maharaja Ranjeet Singh of Punjab and her mother of the youngest son Duleep Singh, died in 1863.
- The great and first Tilisha writer of Hindi, Babu Devakinandan Khatri died in 1913.
- Bal Gangadhar Tilak, a scholar, mathematician, philosopher and Indian nationalist leader, died in 1920.
- Indian-born Bengali and English writer and scholar Nirad Chandra Chaudhary passed away on 1999.
- Bengali and English writer Urad.C. Chaudhary passed away on 1 August 1999.
- The famous scholar Ali Sardar Jafri, who was awarded the Gyanpeeth Award, passed away in 2000.
- Saudi Arabia’s King Fahd bin Abdul Aziz passed away on 1 August 2005.
- Indian politician Harkishan Singh Surjeet died in 2008.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Girl Friends Day
- Respect For Parents Day
- World Scout Scarf Day
- World Wide Web Day
Also, know this day in other months: