11 July (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 11 July
- Charles IV of Luxembourg was elected the ruler of the Roman Empire on 11 July 1346.
- Signature on the Treaty between the Netherlands and Denmark in 1673.
- The British Parliament rejected the appeal of puritan Hindus against the abolition of Sati practice on 11 July 1832.
- The first Indian team to participate in the Sova Market Club, a football tournament, was formed in 1889.
- Wilfrid Laurier took oath as Canada’s seventh Prime Minister in 1896.
- Mongolia found independence from China in 1921
- The Hollywood Bowl was started in 1922.
- Bradman scored 309 runs against England in Leads in 1930.
- The first air raid took place in Jerusalem in 1948.
- Brazil, near Paris, killed 122 when Boeing crashed in 1973.
- Martin Luther King Jr. was awarded the Medal of Freedom in 1977.
- American Space Laboratory Sky Lab fell to Earth on 11 July 1979. It fell into the Indian Ocean and West Australia. Prior to its fall, the entire world was being convinced that it will fall on the earth and how much it will be damaged.
- The population of the world took the figure of five billion in 1987. The United Nations decided to celebrate July 11 as a Population Day.
- Diplomatic relations between the US and Vietnam were established in 1995.
- More than 7000 people were massacred in 1995 in Bosnia.
- Chang Sang became South Korea’s first woman Prime Minister in 2002.
- ‘Dosti Bus’ in Lahore and ‘Sada-e-Sarhad’ bus from Delhi was operational in 2003.
- Asian Ministers Conference on HIV-AIDS in 2004 at Bangkok.
- 209 people killed in Mumbai bomb blasts in 2006.
- Famous painter M.F. Hussain attended the New York Art Exhibition as a Chief Guest in 2007.
- In a US air strike in Waziristan province in 2008, 11 people were injured.
- In the Football World Cup, Spain won the title by defeating the Netherlands by -0.0 in 2010.
Read more: Important events of 10 July
Born on 11 July
- Indian judge and politician C. Shankaran Nayar was born in 1857.
- India’s famous freedom fighter, politician and the first Defense Minister Sardar Baldev Singh was born in 1902.
- Indian film actor Kumar Gaurav was born in 1960
Died on 11 July
- Begum Rezabibeh Sukis, the first foreign woman who came to Kolkata, died in 1630.
- Aga Khan, the founder member of the Muslim League, died in 1957.
- Indian writer Bhishma Sahni passed away in 2003.
- Indian Lieutenant Rama Raghoba Rane, who was awarded the Param Vir Chakra award, died in 2011.
- Ferdinand Monoyer, a famous French ophthalmologist, died in 1912.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- China National Maritime Day (China)
- Day of the Bandoneón (Argentina)
- Eleventh Night (Northern Ireland)
- Free Slurpee Day
- World Population Day (International)
Also, know this day in other months: