14 August (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 14 August
- After the collapse of the Cologne Cathedral of Germany, rebuilding began in 1248.
- A peace treaty was signed between the United States and Tunis in 1805.
- America’s Oregon area was founded in 1848.
- The Bombay High Court was established in 1862.
- The electric meter’s patent was given to Oliver B. Shallenberger in 1888.
- The first beauty contest in England’s Folkestone was held in 1908.
- China declared war on Germany and Austria during World War I in 1917.
- The Olympic Games were started in 1920 in Antwerp, Belgium.
- American President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act in 1935.
- The first Olympic basketball game was played in Berlin in 1936.
- The BBC’s first feature film (Student of Prague) was broadcast on television in 1938.
- This world war, which began with Nazi Germany’s invasion of Poland, ended in Japan in 1939.
- There was a high-level meeting lasting several days in 1941 between British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and US President Franklin Roosevelt.
- During World War II, Japan was forced to put arms against the component countries in 1945.
- Pakistan’s Independence Day The transfer of power was done at midnight, but Pakistan celebrates its national day on August 14, while India celebrates its independence day on August 15, 1947.
- Muhammad Ali Jinnah became the first Governor General of Pakistan in 1945.
- The partition of India took place in 1947 and Pakistan became a separate nation.
- Morarji Desai was conferred Pakistan’s highest civilian honour, Nikh-e-Pakistan, in 1968.
- Bahrain received independence from British rule in 1971 after 110 years.
- In 1975, the Pakistani military couched the coup of President Mujib ur-Rehman.
- Today on the day the workers in the Gdańsk Shipyard under the leadership of Valencia strike in 1980. Today’s day is crucial for the liberation of Poland with communist influence.
- The agreement between the Macedonian government and the Albanian rebels in 2001, denied by the Irish Republican Army for disarmament.
- Pakistan President General Pervez Musharraf termed the election of Kashmir in 2002 as a pretence.
- In the Eastern United States and Canada, there was no long supply of electricity for 2003, which also affected big cities like New York and Ottawa.
- The five-week conflict in Israel and southern Lebanon on the initiative of the United Nations has begun in 2006.
- 400 people were killed in a bombardment in 2006 in Kathania of Iraq.
- The agreement was signed between Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf and President of
- Pakistan People’s Party and former Prime Minister Benazir, 2007.
- The Government of India announced that Major L Jyotin Singh of Army Medical Corps was killed in Kabul on 64th Independence Day in 2010, to give Ashok Chakra and Vinod Choubey and
- Major Devinder Singh Jha to Kirti Chakrapadan.
- In Egypt, police and protesters killed 638 people in violent clashes in 2013.
Read More: Important events of 13 August
Born on 14 August
- Leonardo da Vinci, the famous painter and architect of Italy, was born in 1452.
- Chief Minister of Mumbai and Minister in several departments of the Central Government, S. K. Patil was born on 1900.
- The famous writer and journalist of India Kuldip Nayar was born in 1924.
- Indian film actor Johnny Lever was born in 1956.
- Indian cricketer Pravin Amre was born in 1968.
- Robin Soderling was born in 1984.
Died on 14 August
- The famous Rajasthani poet and freedom fighter Kesari Singh Berhad died in 1941.
- Wrestling player Khashaba Jadhav passed away on 1984.
- India’s Tenth Chief Justice Kailash Nath Wanchoo passed away on 14 August 1988.
- Famous novelist, conductor, critic and translator, Amritraj died in 1996.
- India’s best boxer Air Singh died in 2000.
- The world’s oldest Japanese woman, Yeno Meenagawa, died on 2007.
- Famous Hindi film actor Shammi Kapoor passed away on 2011.
- Former Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh died on 2012.
- The famous Indian poet and writer Chandrakant Devtale passed away in 2017.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Social Security Day
- Creamsicle Day
Also, know this day in other months: