16 August (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 16 August
- In America, the search of Yorktown, Virginia was discovered in 1691.
- The United States defeated Britain in 1777 in the battle of Bennington
- Turkey announced the war against Russia in 1787.
- American President James Bushan was broadcast in 1858 by British Queen Victoria on behalf of a telegraph message transatlantic cable.
- South American country Chile, in 1906, an earthquake of 8.6, a death of twenty thousand people.
- Signature of a peace agreement between the Netherlands and Turkey signed in 1924
- Jar Boris of Bulgaria met Adolf Hitler in 1943.
- The Muslim League declared the direct action day in 1946, during which violence killed about 5000 people and injured 15,000 in Kolkata.
- Cyprus was liberated from the United Kingdom in 1960. This day is celebrated in the form of Independence Day.
- In 1990, China made its first nuclear test in Libra Noor.
- The collision of two Sukhoi planes in the sky in Russia during the 1990 exercise.
- Russia’s nuclear submarine crashed in the Vermonters Sea 2000.
- Using the Hubble Space Telescope, in 2001, it was discovered a planet located outside the Solar System.
- Libya took the responsibility for the bomb blast in 2003.
- The Australian and American teams regained world record in Olympic sailing in 2004.
- The UN Council extended the period of its campaign to Haiti for 6 months in 2006.
- In 2008, three terrorists of Hizbul were killed in Jammu.
- 125 Indian Police Officers deployed in the Congo in 2008 were awarded the UN Peace Prize.
- RK theme song of A. R. Rahman was approved for 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
- The forerunner of the Lokpal agitation, Anna Hazare and his colleagues Arvind Kejriwal, Kiran Bedi and Manish Sisodia were arrested before the police started the fast in 2011.
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has given political asylum in Ecuador in 2012.
Read More: Important events of 15 August
Born on 16 August
- Sweden was born to Sweden’s geologist Louis Axis in 1807.
- Freedom fighter, poetess, story writer Subhadra Kumari Chauhan was born in 1904.
- Menachem Begin, the sixth Prime Minister of Israel, was born in 1913.
- T. Ganapati, the second Lok Sabha member, was born on 1918.
- Indian filmmaker Saif Ali Khan was born in 1970.
- Goodwill ambassador Manisha Koirala, born of the famous heroine of Hindi films and UN Population Fund, was born in 1970.
Died on 16 August
- The great saint and thinker Ramkrishna Paramahansa Dev died in 1886.
- Nirash Peter I of Yugoslavia died in 1921.
- Internationally renowned Pakistani singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan died on August 16, 1997.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee Died on this day.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Rollercoaster Day
- Airborne Day
Also, know this day in other months: