16 July (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 16 July
- 1439 – Kissing was banned from fear of spreading disease in England.
- 1465 – The war broke out in Montlérie, France.
- 1519 – Public debate started in Plesinberg Castle of Leipzig between Martin Luther and religious thinker Johann Eck.
- 1661 – Swedish Bank Stockholms Banco released the first note in Europe.
- 1790 – US Congress established Columbia.
- 1798 – Becomes a Public Health Service Department in the US. American Marine Hospital has been authorized.
- 1856 – Remarriage of Hindu widows gets legal recognition.
- 1890 – Doctor Parkinson explores the process of Parkinson’s disease and its existence.
- 1894 – Japan and England signed the Treaty of Aoki-Kimberli.
- 1900 – Russia begins the aggressive campaign against Chinese people in Manchuria.
- 1925 – King Faisal established Iraq’s first parliament in Baghdad.
- 1926 – National Geographic first brings out natural colourful photos of scenes in the ocean.
- 1935 – The first parking meter was installed in Oklahoma City.
- 1942 – Police arrest 13,152 Jews in Paris, France’s capital.
- 1945 – The USA tests first nuclear bomb.
- 1950 – Uruguay became the winner defeating Brazil in the finals of the fourth edition of the Football World Cup.
- 1951 – Asia’s country Nepal gets freedom from Britain.
- 1969 – Buzz Aldrin, who reached the Moon from the Apollo 11 mission, became the first person and the photo of the first step was broadcast on his moon.
- 1970 – The Constitution came into force in Iraq.
- 1981 – India conducted a nuclear test.
- 1990 – Ukraine announces independence.
- 1993 – Britain’s Intelligence Service, a member of MI5, photographed for the first time, formally opened its identity to the public.
- 2002 – Emergency was announced in Paraguay.
- 2003 – Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and 53 other Islamic countries agree to recognize Israel until 2005.
- 2004 – China conducts the first online air safety practice in Tinchin, the largest coastal city in northern China.
- 2006 – Proposal to ban North Korea has been passed in the United Nations Security Council
- 2007 – Former Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Wajid was arrested in a case of recovery of money.
- 2008 – The US introduced a bill for Pakistan’s $ 60 billion civilian assistance over the next five years.
- 2011– The software developed by the Unicode Consortium and ISO for installation of a symbol of Rupees by the TDIL datacenter in the computer was released for free use.
- 2015 – Scientists released close-up images of Pluto Planet.
Read More: Important events of 15 July
Born on 16 July
- 1917 – Jagdish Chandra Mathur, Hindi playwright was born on 16 July.
- 1909 – Aruna Asaf Ali, who fought as freedom fighters, was born.
- 1968 – Indian hockey captain Dhanraj Pillai was born.
- 1983 – Katrina Kaif actress was born on 16 July.
Died on 16 July
- 1999 – John F. Kennedy Jr., US President on 16 July.
- 2005 – K. V. Subbanna, Kannada playwright.
- 2017 – Nar Bahadur Bhandari died after being Chief Minister of Sikkim three times.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Engineer’s Day (Honduras)
- Holocaust Memorial Day (France)
Also, know this day in other months: