Important events of 16 June
- 1779 – Spain launches a war against Britain
- 1815 – Napoleon defeats Prussia in the Battle of Ligny in the Netherlands.
- 1858 – The battle of Morar was fought during the first Indian independence war.
- 1881 – Austria and Hungary sign a military treaty with Serbia
- 1903 – Roald Amundsen of Norway explores the sea route linking the islands of Canada across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. This route is called Northwest Passage.
- 1903 – Ford Motor Company started.
- 1911 – IBM company was founded in New York. Previously it was named Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company.
- 1923 – Yakut Rebellion in Siberia and Russian Civil War Ends
- 1924 – Whampoa Military Academy was established in China.
- 1963 – Russian lady Lieutenant Valentina Tereshkova, 26, was the world’s first woman to fly for space.
- 1976 – Ten thousand black school students in Toyota of South Africa demonstrated almost half a mile for their right to talk about poor quality education and in their own language. Over one hundred students were shot and more than thousand injured.
- In 1992 – A book published in the name of ‘Diana – A True Story’ was published. It was told in this book that Diana tried to commit suicide several times in the last ten years.
- 1997 – 50 people died in the massacre in Algeria.
- 1999 – Thabo Mbeki elected second President of South Africa
- 2007 – Sunita Williams becomes the longest living woman in space.
- 2008 – California licensed to marry gay couples.
- 2012 -China launched Spacecraft Shenzhou 9.
- 2012 – United States Air Force Robotics Boeing X-37B spaceplane completes its mission and returns to Earth.
Read more: Important events of 15 June
Born on 16 June
- 1920 – Hemant Kumar Mukhopadhyay was a famous singer, musician and film producer.
- 1936 – Akhlaq Muhammad Khan is an Indian educationist and poet of Urdu poetry in India.
- 1950 – Mithun Chakraborty, popularly known as Bollywood’s disco dancer, was born in Hindi films.
Died on 16 June
- 1606 – Arjun Dev, the fifth Guru of the Sikhs.
- 1925 – Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das, Indian Independence Fighter and Politician
- 1999 – C. S. Venkatachari is an Indian politician and Chief Minister of Rajasthan.
- 2012 – Nayef bin Abdulaziz al-Saud / Male / Ruler / Saudi Arabia
- 2014 – Tony Gwynn / Men / Player / United States
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- International African Children’s Day
- Africa Youth Day: South Africa
- Martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev (Sikhism)