Important events of 17 June
- 1549 – The Jews were expelled from Belgium in the Ghent area of Belgium.
- 1609 – The Netherlands, England and France signed a 12-year contract.
- 1775 – British Army defeated US Continental Army in the Battle of Bunker Hill.
- 1799 – Napoleon Bonaparte incorporates Italy into his empire.
- 1885 – The Port of the Statue of Liberty reached the port of New York.
- 1917 – Mahatma Gandhi made his residence in the heart of the Sabarmati Ashram.
- 1938 – Japan declares war on China.
- 1944 – Iceland gets independence from Denmark
- 1950 – Egypt, Lebanon, Syria and Saudi Arabia signed the Security Treaty.
- 1963 – U.S. Supreme Court bans the necessary reading of the Bible in schools.
- 1967 – China becomes the fourth country in the world with a hydrogen bomb.
- 1970 – The operation of kidney transplantation for the first time in Chicago.
- 1974 – In a UK bomb blast, 11 people were injured in a bomb blast.
- 1981 – 14 people were killed in a conflict between Muslims and Christians in Cairo, Egypt.
- 1994 – FIFA World Cup football begins in Chicago.
- 2003– 165 Iranian terrorists arrested in France.
- 2012 – Taliban praised India on its English website ‘Voice of Jihad‘, saying that the soil of Afghanistan will not be allowed to be used against it.
- 2015 – A gunman killed nine people in a church in the US state of South Carolina.
Read more: Important events of 16 June
Born on 17 June
- 1887 – Kailash Nath Katju / Male / Politician / India
- 1903 – Assam’s famous literary figure, freedom fighter and film producer Jyoti Prasad Agarwal was born
- 1942 – Bhagat Singh Kosariyri / Male / Politician / India
- 1957 – Phil Chevron / Male / Singer / Ireland
- 1973 – Leander Paes, India’s best tennis player, was born.
- 1980 – Best American female tennis player Venus Williams was born.
- 1981 – Amrita Rao, Hindi movie actress
Died on 17 June
- 1632 – Mumtaz Mahal, wife of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan died.
- 1674 – Jijabai died.
- 1839 – Lord William Bentinck, General and Politician of English, 14th Governor General of India
- 1928 – freedom fighter Gopchandhu Das passed away.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- World Desert and Drought Prevention Day – International Day
- Independence Day (Iceland)
- Father’s Day