18 August (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 18 August
- Riga city in Latvia was founded on August 18, 1201.
- Fort William College was established in Calcutta by Lord Vezelley in 1800.
- French astronomer Pierre Jensen discovered Helium in 1868.
- 700 deaths due to cyclonic storm in 1891 in the Caribbean island of Martinique.
- France started recalling its forces from Germany in 1924.
- The first weather map was broadcast on television in 1940.
- Sukarno started functioning as the first President of Indonesia in 1945.
- Great freedom fighter, Netaji Subhash Chand Bose, was seriously injured in the 1945 accident in
- Taihoku in Taiwan, later in a military hospital, he died.
- The constitution in Hungary came into force in 1949.
- Indian Institute of Technology established in Kharagpur in West Bengal in 1951.
- The first black man to graduate from James Meridith Mississippi University in America in 1963.
- US approves the building of first FM Radio Station in Boston in 1973
- In 1982, a Soviet Union sent a female astronaut for the space station Salyut-7.
- About 45,000 people died in the earthquake in Turkey in 1999.
- England defeated the West Indies in 2000 and made history of winning the Test in two days.
- Former Bangladesh President H.M. Irshad was acquitted by the special court in 2006 for corruption.
- The controversial British singer Lily Allen was banned from entering the US in 2007.
- In Uttar Pradesh, Mayawati government announced the implementation of the Sixth Pay Commission’s recommendations in 2008.
- Pakistan’s President Pervez Musharraf resigned amidst fear of impeachment in 2008.
- TVS Electronics added the symbol of the rupee just above the tab in its new key panel called ‘TVS Gold India’ 2010.
- NATO airstrike in 2012 killed at least 13 terrorists in Afghanistan
- Six people were killed in a bomb blast in a bus in West Bengal in 2013.
Read More: Important events of 17 August
Born on 18 August
- Baji Rao I, the great general of the Maratha empire, was born on 18 August 1700.
- The second son of Peshwa Bajirao I and an accomplished army hero Raghoba was born in 1734.
- Pandit Vishnu Digambar, a classical singer of Maharashtra, was born on 1872 to musician Pandit Vishnu Digambar.
- The birth of the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru’s sister and the female freedom fighter, Vijayalakshmi Pandit was born in 1900.
- A resident Indian soldier from Param Vir Chakra B. Tarapore was born in 1923.
- The famous songwriter, poet and film director Gulzar was born on 1936.
- Indian actress Preity Zangiani was born in 1980.
Died on 18 August
- Genghis Khan, the ruler of the Mongol Empire, died in 1227.
- Independence fighter Subhash Chandra Bose died in 1945.
- Editor of Hindi Literature and Saraswati Magazine, Shri Narayan Chaturvedi passed away on 1990.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- World Honey Bee Day
Also, know this day in other months: