18 July (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 18 July
For the first time, electricity produced from nuclear power was commercially sold. Today, British soldiers occupy Normandy’s Borkebus mountain range on the same day. Apart from this, a lot has happened in Indian and world history today, let’s take a look at today’s history ……
- 1290 – King Edward of England ordered the expulsion of Jews.
- 1743 – The first half-page advertisement in the world was published in the weekly newspaper New York.
- 1857 – Establishment of Bombay University.
- 1907 – French troops occupy Casablanca.
- 1931 – First air-conditioned ship to start ship Mariposa.
- 1944 – British troops occupy Normandy’s Borkebus mountain range.
- 1951 – Uruguay accepts the Constitution.
- 1951 – Jersey Joe Walcott becomes the Heavyweight Champion at the highest age.
- 1955 – For the first time, the electricity produced from nuclear power was commercially sold.
- 1963 – Military coup fails in Syria.
- 1977 – Vietnam becomes a member of the United Nations.
- 1978 – Two-day official talks between Egypt and Israel began.
- 1980 – Completely established India-class satellite Rohini is in the orbit of Earth.
- 2012 – Death of three high officials of the government, including the Defense Minister, in the suicide bombing in Syria.
- 2012 – Kim Jong, he was officially appointed the supreme leader of North Korea and was given the rank of martial in the Korean People’s Army.
Read More: Important events of 17 July
Born on 18 July
- India’s first woman graduate and first woman physician Kadambini Ganguly was born on 18 July 1861.
- Former South African President Nelson Mandela was born on July 18, 1918, the Nobel Prize winner.
- Thomas Kuhn, an American philosopher of science, was born in 1922.
- Ghazal Emperor Mehdi Hassan was born on July 18, 1927.
- The 69th Shankaracharya of Saraswati Kanchi Mutt was born in 1935. Jayendra Saraswati was born in 1935.
- The famous litterateur of India Rajesh Joshi was born on July 18, 1946.
- English singer-songwriter, rapper and record producer M.I.A. Was born in 1975.
- Indian Bollywood-Hollywood actress, and Miss World 2000 Priyanka Chopra was born on July 18, 1982.
- Indian women cricketer Smriti Mandhana was born on July 18, 1996.
Died on 18 July
- Veer Amar Shahid Pir Singh of the Indian Army died in 1948.
- The famous revolutionary of India Abdul Hamid Kaiser died on July 18, 1998.
- Edlog, who made the record for the longest air travel in the world’s aviation history, died on July 18, 1999.
- The famous Hindi actor Rajesh Khanna died on 18 July 2012.
- Mubarak Begum, the famous playback singer of Hindi films, died on July 18, 2016.
- Famous Indian poet, memoir, story writer, novelist and co-star Ajit Shankar Chaudhary passed away in 2017.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Constitution Day (Uruguay)
- Nelson Mandela International Day
Also, know this day in other months: