Important events of 18 June
- Battle of Haldighati began on 18th June 1576 between Maharana Pratap and Akbar, ruler of the Mughal empire.
- Aurangzeb occupied the fort of Agra in 1658.
- The war started between America and Britain in 1812.
- After losing to Britain in Waterloo, the power of France was syphoned off from Napoleon in 1815.
- The Waterloo Bridge, built in 1817 on the Thames River in London, opened.
- Spain adopted the new constitution in 1837.
- Sixty thousand people became homeless due to the re-awakening of Mount Etna in Italy in 1923.
- The Forward Block of the Indian National Congress was founded in 1940 by Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
- In 1941, Turkey signed a peace agreement with Nazi Germany.
- Under the leadership of Dr Ram Manohar Lohia, the first Satyagraha movement began in Goa in 1946 against Portugal’s rule in Goa.
- The Hindu Succession Act 1956 was passed.
- The ship of British European Airways fell into the open ground on June 18, 1972, and 118 people died in the accident.
- The signing of the Salt-II Agreement on 18 June 1979 by US President Jimmy Carter and Soviet President Brezhnev in Vienna was signed in Vienna.
- Shakuntala Devi multiplied two 13 digit numbers in 1980 and gave the correct answer in 28 seconds.
- MS Swaminathan got the first world food award in 1987.
- India and Pakistan decided to end the five-year conflict in the Siachen Glacier region and withdrew its troops.
- Despite having no absolute majority, Congress became the largest party in the Lok Sabha in 1991.
- The BJP of 14th National Council in Bangalore administered the oath of Hindutva on this day in 1993.
- Prakash Padukone started the Indian Badminton Federation (IBC) in 1997.
- The leader of the Khmer Rouge of Cambodia and the Maoist Polpot surrendered on June 18, 1997, the murderer of more than 20 million people.
- The signing of the Drinking Water Agreement in London in 1999.
- Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga was elected as the new President of the country in Latvia in 1999.
- The Taliban cancelled the 2001 liberation war against the United States.
- Google launched Internet Program Adsense in 2003.
- Chad soldiers killed 69 Sudanese militants on June 18, 2004.
- The Government of India announced the grant of 5% reservation to the Gujjars in the OBC quota in 2008.
- The three agreement signed between Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh on the trip to India was signed in 2008.
- Pharma company Ranbaxy America Pharma.
- Pharma company Ranbaxy resolved patent dispute with US Pharma company Fishers under an agreement in 2008.
- Vietnam lifted the ban on export of rice to improve the supply situation in the world market in 2008.
- NASA sent reconnaissance vehicle on June 18, 2009, for exploration of water on the moon.
In Baghdad, Iraq’s capital, 2013, 31 people were killed and 60 were injured in two suicide attacks.
- 27 people died in a suicide attack in 2013 in Shergarh, Pakistan.
- In the ICC Champions Trophy 2017, Pakistan won the title by defeating India.
Read more: Important events of 17 June
Born on 18 June
- Jung Bahadur Kunwar was born in 1817, the first Prime Minister of Nepal and founder of the Rana Dynasty.
- Famous national leader C. Vijaya Raghava Chariar was born in 1852 in Salem district of Tamil Nadu.
- India’s freedom fighter, teacher, lawyer, politician and the creator of modern Bihar, Anugar Narayan Sinha was born in 1887.
- Freedom Fighter, Gandhist Chintak and famous writer Dada Dharmadhikari were born in 1899 in Betul district of Madhya Pradesh.
- French pianist Claude Helfer was born in 1922.
- KS Sudarshan, the fifth Sarsanghchalak of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, was born in Chhattisgarh Raipur district in 1931.
- Former Brazilian President Fernando Henrique Cardoso was born in 1931.
- In the sailing, India’s best player Homi Daddy Motivala was born on 18 June 1958 in Mumbai.
- Richard Gaske was born in 1986.
- England all-rounder Moin Ali was born in Birmingham in 1987.
Died on 18 June
- Senani, MP and Hindi literary writer Seth Govinda Das passed away in 1974.
- Naseem Bano, the famous actress of Hindi films, died in 2002.
- Former Indian cricketer and Test batsman Mushtaq Ali died in 2005.
- Famous Indian composer, classical singer and sarod player Ali Akbar Khan died on June 18, 2009.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Goa Revolution Day
- Queen Laxmibai sacrifice day
- Waterloo Day