Important events of 2 July
- 1306 – Alauddin Khilji attacked Sivan on 2 July 1306.
- 1698 – Thomas Savery patented a steam engine.
- 1757 – Muhammad Mirza defeated Sirajuddaula.
- 1777 – Slavery ended in the US city of Vermont.
- 1781 – War between Sultan Hyder Ali of Mysore and Porto Novo (now Parangipettai).
- 1897 – Italian scientist Guglielmo Marconi found a patent of radio in London.
- 1916 – Indian Geological Survey Department was established.
- 1940 – Revolutionary leader Subhash Chandra Bose was arrested and sent to Calcutta
- 1962 – The first Walmart store opened in Rogers, Arkansas for business.
- 1972 – Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and Pakistan’s President Zulfikar Ali Bhutto signed the Shimla Agreement.
- 1976 – The end of the Republic of Vietnam Communist North Vietnam announced the joining of Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
- 1983 – The first unit of the indigenously built nuclear power plant started working in Kalpakkam near Madras.
- 1985 – Andrei Gromyko elected the President of the Soviet Union.
- 1990 – 1,426 Haj pilgrims died in a stampede in Mecca-Meena in Saudi Arabia.
- 2001 – The Fast and Furious Series debut was released.
Source: Fast and Furious
- 2002 – Steve Fossett becomes the first person to travel the world through a balloon.
- 2004 – Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Station has been declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO World Heritage Committee on 2 July.
- 2004 – Foreign Minister of India and Pakistan interact in Jakarta.
- 2006 – England football team captain David Beckham leaves his post.
- 2010 – 230 people died in tanker truck explosion in Congo.
- 2012 – Spain defeated Italy 4-0 to win Euro Cup Football 2012 and became the first country to win three consecutive titles.
Read more: Important events of 1 July
Born on 2 July
- 1946 – Ronald Arthur Silver was an American actor, director, producer, radio host and political activist.
- 1921 – Ashok Ghosh was an Indian Bengali politician and a senior leader of the All India Forward Bloc political party.
- 1948 – Famous Janakavi Alok Dhanwa was born
- 1956 – Saroj, who was elected the thirteenth and fifteenth Lok Sabha members
- 1958 – Pawan Malhotra is a Hindi film and television actor.
- 1968 – Gautami Tadimalla is an Indian film actress who has primarily acted in Tamil films, though she also appeared in successful films in Telugu, Malayalam, Hindi and Kannada cinema.
Died on 2 July
- 1950 – Independence fighter and social reformer Yusuf Meherally passed away.
- 1961 – Ernest Hemingway was an American novelist and story writer.
- 2013 – Douglas Carl Engelbart was an American engineer and inventor.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- World Sports Journalist Day
- World UFO Day