20 August (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 20 August
- King Richard, I killed three thousand Muslim prisoners on August 20, 1191, in the Northern Israriya city of Akko.
- The first ship of the Dutch East India Company from East Asia came back in 1597.
- A peace agreement between England and Scotland on 20 August 1641
- The first session of Brahma Samaj of Raja Ram Mohan Rai was held in Calcutta (now Calcutta) in 1828.
- In 1897, Ronald Ross identified the cause of the malaria factor Anopheles mosquitoes while working in Presidency General Hospital in Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- Adolf of France became the first pilot to fly by plane through Pegod parachute in 1913.
- The Moplah Uprising began in 1921 in the Malabar region of Kerala.
- Constitution of the European country in Hungary was adopted in 1949.
- In 1953, French forces removed Mohammed bin Yusuf from Sultan of Morocco.
- In Morocco and Algeria, hundreds of people were killed in the anti-French riots in 1955.
Wilberforce University was founded in 1856 in Ohio.
- The Soviet Union conducted nuclear tests in Novaya Jemalia in 1962.
- The then Soviet Russia conducted underground nuclear tests in 1972.
- The Voyager 2 spacecraft of America was launched in 1977.
- Prime Minister Chaudhary Charan Singh resigned from his post in 1979.
- Pakistan’s President General Zia-ul-Haq died in an air crash in 1988 and Senate chairman Ghulam Ishakh Khan became president.
- In 1988, a strong earthquake of 6.5 in India and Nepal killed one thousand people.
- A northern European country, Estonia declared the separation from the then Soviet Russia Union in 1991.
- The announcement of the 28-year old policy of granting shelter to Cuban refugees by the United States in 1994 was ended.
- In a face-to-face collision of the Purushottam Express and Kalindi Express, in 1995, 350 people died.
- Leander Paes won the Pellet Pen International Tennis Championship in 1998 by defeating Pete Sampras.
- In Spain, Indian champion Viswanathan Anand won the title of the Vilardo chess championship in 2001 by defeating Spanish Sharayov of Spain.
- Palestine guerrilla leader Abu Nidal was found dead in 2002.
- Forbes Magazine released the list of the world’s most powerful women in 2004, among them,
- Condoleezza Rice of America, Wu Yi of China and Sonia Gandhi of India respectively in the first three places.
- Aruna Sai Ram, a famous Indian classical music recipient, was honoured with a special honour in the US in 2008.
- Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister Ram Vilas Paswan announced in 2008 an additional subsidy of Rs 22,000 crore for the fertilizer industry in the current financial year.
- 20 people died in the riots in Venezuela’s capital Caracas in 2012
- India’s famous historian Ram Sharan Sharma died in 2011.
- In the North Caucasus 2013, nine terrorists were killed in the action of the Russian police.
Read More: Important events of 19 August
Born on 20 August
- D. Devraj Aras, Karnataka’s 8th Chief Minister, was born in 1915
- The birth of the famous poet Trilochan Shastri of progressive poetry was born on August 20, 1917.
- India’s ninth Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was born in 1944.
- Infosys company founder N. R. Narayanamurthy was born in 1946.
- The famous environmentalist Rajendra Kumar Pachauri, who was internationally known, was born on 1940.
- Farrukhsiyar, son of Azimushashan, a Mughal dynasty, was born in 1685.
- India’s female chess player Tania Sachdev was born on August 20, 1986.
Died on 20 August
- The famous Oriya language writer Gopinath Mohanty passed away on August 20, 1991.
- The historian Gangaram Samrat died in 2004.
- India’s renowned historian and educationist Ram Sharan Sharma died on August 20, 2011.
- Famous Indian Yoga Guru B. K. s. Iyengar passed away on August 20, 2014.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- World Mosquito Day
Also, know this day in other months: