Important events of 20 June
- 1756 – The soldiers of Nawab Siraj Ud-Daulah imprisoned British soldiers in the basement of Fort William on 20 June.
- 1837 – Victoria became Queen of Britain.
- 1840 – Samuel Morse patented the Telegraph.
- 1862 – Romanian Prime Minister Barbu Catargiu was assassinated.
- 1863 – Western Virginia becomes the 35th state of America.
- 1877 – Alexander Graham Bell introduced the world’s first commercial telephone service in Ontario, Canada.
- 1887 – Victoria Terminus (Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus) located in Mumbai, India’s busiest railway station, open to the people.
- 1916 – SNDT Women’s University was established in Pune.
- 1921 – Buckingham and Karnataka Mills workers in Chennai, India, started a four-month strike.
- 1960 – Mali Federation (later split in Mali and Senegal) got independence from France.
- 1976 – After the assassination of the US Ambassador, the United States pulled hundreds of its citizens from Lebanon to America.
- 1990 – More than 40,000 dead in earthquake in Iran
- 1991 – Parliament has approved the proposal to make the German capital again Berlin
- 2001 – General Pervez Musharraf becomes President of Pakistan
- 2002 – American Court bans punishment for mental illnesses
- 2005 – Russian carrier Yan arrives at the M-53 International Space Station.
- 2012 – In Libya, 105 people die and 500 injured in community violence.
Read more: Important events of 19 June
Born on 20 June
- 1869 – Laxmanrao Kirloskar was born on the same day as Indian businessman and he founded the Kirloskar Group.
- 1936 – Sushma Seth was born on the same day as a famous actress of Indian cinema, TV and theatre.
- 1939 – Indian cricketer Ramakant Desai was born on this day
- 1949 – Mrs Shyamala Gopinath was Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India from September 21, 2004, to June 20, 2011.
- 1952 – Vikram Seth, Indian writer and poet was born on this day
Died on 20 June
- Salim Ali (Salim Muinuddin Abdul Ali) died on June 20, 1987, he was an Indian ornithologist and naturalist. In India, They are known as “Birdman of India”
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- World Refugee Day – International Day (World Refugee Day 20 June (International))