21 August (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 21 August
- The Battle of Dunkeld was fought in Scotland in 1689.
- A peace treaty was held between Turkey and Venice in 1718.
- In Sweden, in 1772, Gustav III ended the rule of 50 years old and established dictatorship.
- Under the leadership of General Medas, the British army captured Dindigul in 1790.
- Hobart was founded in 1842 in the city of Tasmania.
- During World War I, Italy announced the war against Turkey in 1915.
- Jewish teachers were banned in 1938 in high schools in Italy.
- Representatives from USA, UK, Russia and China met with the plans of the United Nations Organization in 1944
- Hawaii became the 50th province of America in 1959.
- Martial Law was announced in 1963 in South Vietnam against the raids in the Buddhist Temple Pagoda.
- In the European country Romania, the Constitution was adopted in 1965.
- On Paraguay, Czechoslovakia’s local radio was proclaimed in 1968 under the leadership of the Soviet Union.
- Wildlife Protection Act passed in Parliament in 1972.
- Philippine opposition leader Benfica S. Aquino returned after voluntary exile in 1983, shot to death on the ground and shot dead.
- Thousands of people died in Cameroon in 1986 due to the poisonous gas released from the volcanic eruption.
- A thousand people died due to a severe earthquake in 1988 on the India-Nepal border.
- In the Soviet Union 1991, President Gorbachev abducted, curfew in Moscow, failed in revolution and Gorbachev in power.
- Latvia announced the separation of the United Soviet Union from Russia in 1991.
- President Boris Yeltsin dissolved the Russian Parliament in 1993.
- NASA’s breakthroughs broke on August 21, 1993, with Mars Abrzwar.
- In eastern China, 140 people died and three thousand people were injured by cyclonic storm Vinnie in 1997.
- Confirmation of the death of all the 118 members of the Russian submarine, the forest destroyed in the 1600 hectare area of fire in the southeast Ardek province, 2000.
- United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan dismissed the proposal to send a joint peace army in 2003 to Iraq.
- The ceasefire agreement between Bangladesh and India’s Border Security Force personnel in 2005 concludes.
- Iraq’s deposed president Saddam Hussein refused to attend the massacre trial in 2006.
- Restoration of Caravan-e-Aman Bus Service, 2008, which runs between Srinagar and Muzaffarabad, the capital of ‘Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir’.
- On the Moon mission, India joined hands with NASA in 2008
- Indian Navy fighter aircraft ‘Sea Harrier’ was crashed in the Arabian Sea after flying in 2009 from Goa. Take the pilot Commander Saurabh Saxena passed away
- African countries Democratic Republic of Congo 2012 killed 20 people with Ebola virus infection
- In 2013, 37 people died and 16 were injured in a bus accident near Chin Siva Temple in Malaysia.
- Hamas’s top commanders were killed in the Israeli air strike in 2014 in Rafa.
Read More: Important events of 20 August
Born on 21 August
- The famous social worker and servant of India, Gopal Krishna Deodhar was born in 1871.
- The famous Indian painter Narayan Sridhar Bendre was born in 1910.
- Ismat Chughtai, an Indian Urdu writer, was born on 21 August 1915.
- Mel Fisher, the founder of the American Treasure Seeker and Mel Fisher Marine Heritage Museum, was born on 21 August 1922.
- Freedom fighter, socialist leader and former governor of Uttar Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal B. Satya Narayan Reddy was born in 1927.
- Indian actress role Chawla was born in 1978
- Pema Khandu, India’s youngest and current Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, was born in 1979.
- Athlete Usain Bolt, who scored world record for 100 and 200 meters, was born on 1986.
Died on 21 August
- The famous classical singer Vishnu Digambar Paluskar died in 1931.
- One of the freedom fighters of Chhattisgarh who fought for the independence of India, Vamanrao Baliram Lakhay passed away in 1948.
- Venu Mankad, one of India’s great cricketers, died in 1978.
- The famous Gandhian freedom fighter, educationist, journalist and writer Kaka Kalelkar of India died in 1981.
- King Soujhaj II of Switzerland died in 1982.
- Astro Physicist Subrahmanyam Chandrasekhar died on 1995.
- Bharat Ratna’s eminent sahaini maestro Ustad Bismillah Khan died on 2006.
- Urdu writer Qurratulan Haider passed away on 2007.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Senior Citizens Day
- Poet’s day
Also, know this day in other months: