21 July (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 21 July
- 356 – Eur-young Herro Straits fires fire in the temple of Artemis, which is involved in seven wonders of the ancient world for its fame.
- 1658 – Aurangzeb celebrates his unofficial coronation.
- 1831 – Belgian gained independence from the Netherlands and Leopold became the first king.
- 1883 – India’s first public theatre ‘Hall Star Theater‘ started in Kolkata.
- 1884 – First Test match was played on Lord’s ground in England.
- 1888 – Britain’s inventor Dunlop has developed tires and tubes, increasing the speed of transport equipment.
- 1904 – After the 13 years of construction work, Russia completed the 4607-kilometre long trans-Siberian rail line.
- 1940 – The Soviet Union occupied Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
- 1947 – India’s Constituent Assembly approved the National Flag.
- 1947 – The first political election in Indonesia began.
- 1960 – Sirimavo Bandaranaike became the world’s first woman Prime Minister in Sri Lanka (then Ceylon).
- 1962 – War on the border between India and China.
- 1963 – Kashi University gets university status.
- 1977 – Neelam Sanjiva Reddy became the 6th President of India.
- 1983 – Antarctica Vostok recorded the lowest temperature at minus 89.2 degrees.
- 1988 – Indian National Satellite (INSAT-1C) launched.
- 2007 – The Harry Potter series ‘Harry Potter and the Devil Hallows’ was released.
- 2007 – Pratibha Patil becomes India’s first female President.
- 2008 – Senior leader of Nepalese Congress, Rambaran Yadav of Indian origin, was elected as Nepal’s first president.
- 2013 – King Albert II of Belgium left the throne for the son’s coronation.
Read More: Important events of 20 July
Born on 21 July
- 1911 – Gyanpeeth award was awarded to the renowned and well-known Gujarati writer, Umashankar Joshi.
- 1922 – British actress Mollie Sugden was born.
- 1930 – Famous film songwriter Anand Bakshi was born.
- 1947 – Indian cricketer Chetan Chauhan was born.
- 1951 – American comedian Robin Williams was born.
Died on 21 July
- 1906 – Womesh Chandra Bonnerji was an Indian barrister and the first President of the Indian National Congress passed away.
- 1920 – Shree Ramkrishna Paramhansa’s paternal grandmother of Sharda Maa passed away.
- 1972 – Jigme Dorji Wangchuk, the third King of Bhutan, passed away.
- 2001 – The famous Tamil actor Shivaji Ganesan passed away.
- Gangubai Hangal, a famous singer of Indian classical music, died on 21 July 2009.
- 2011 – Elliott Handler passed away as an American inventor, businessman and co-founder of Mattel.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Liberation Day in 1944 (Guam)
- Racial Harmony Day (Singapore)
- Summer Kazanskaya (Russia)
Also, know this day in other months: