26 July (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 26 July
- Jahangir welcomed Rana of Mewar in 1614.
- Many Jews died in Lithuania violence in 1826.
- The Indian Association in Calcutta was founded in 1876.
- Winston Churchill resigned as Britain’s Prime Minister in 1945.
- The Netherlands ended the war with Germany in 1951.
- Cuban revolution began in 1953 under Communist revolutionary Fidel Castro.
- Egypt occupied the Suez Canal in 1956.
- The Maldives found Freedom in 1965 from Britain.
- France conducted a nuclear test on Mururoa Island in 1974.
- In 1993, the Boeing plane crashed in South Korea. 66 passengers died.
- Turkey bombings in Kurd in 1994 killed 70 people.
- Sri Lanka won the ‘Asia Cup’ in 1997,
- The life imprisonment of the Khmer Rouge leader Polpot.
- In 1998, the greatest female athlete Jackie Joyner Kersee took the Gold Medal in athletics.
- In Fiji, the rebel leader George Speight was arrested by the army in 2000.
- A court in Indonesia sentenced the former president’s son in jail for 15 years
- The first Chhattisgarh state shooting championship started in 2002.
- Foreign Minister Kamal Karzai negotiated the proposal of the gas pipeline with Indian Prime Minister in 2004.
- In 2004 Brazil defeated Argentina in Copa Cup.
- NASA shuttle Discovery was launched in 2005.
- Four United Nations Observers were killed in the 2006 Israel attack in Lebanon.
- Pakistan successfully tested the nuclear-powered cruise missile Babar Hatf-7 in 2007.
- European scientists discovered another new planet outside the solar system in 2008.
- There were 21 explosions in Ahmedabad city of Gujarat in 2008. In this accident, 56 people were killed and more than 200 wounded.
- 2012 in Syria violence killed about 200 people in a day.
- In 2012, in North Korea, ‘Khanoon’ storm killed 88 people and 60 thousand homeless.
- About two hundred people were killed in a day in the violence launched in Syria in 2012.
- 2013 bomb blasts in Pakistan’s cave, 57 dead.
Read More: Important events of 25 July
Born on 26 July
- India’s leading educationist Gurudas Banerjee was born in 1844. One of the famous poets of India, Vidyavati ‘Kokil’ was born in 1914.
- Chhatrapati Sahu Maharaj, a well-known social reformer of Maharashtra and the benefactor of the Dalits, was born on 26 July 1874.
Died on 26 July
- The famous scholar Vasudev Sharan Agarwal of India died on July 26, 1966.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Kargil Victory Day
Also, know this day in other months: