3 July (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 3 July
- 1661 – Portugal handed over Mumbai to King Charles II of Thanjavur (Tanjore).
- 1746 – Baba Banda Singh Bahadur was hanged on the orders of the Mughal emperor. In 1710, he defeated the Mughals.
- 1751 – Sweden’s chemist and excavation expert Frederick Cranstler succeeded in locating a metal named Nickel.
- 1760 – Maratha army occupies Delhi.
- 1778 – Persia declares war against Argentina.
- 1819 – America’s first saving bank ‘Bank of saving in New York‘ begins.
- 1886 – The first newspaper to use the New York Tribune printing machine.
- 1897 – Italian scientist Marconi (Guglielmo Marconi) patented the radio in London.
- 1908 – Bal Gangadhar Tilak was arrested by the British government by accusing him of sedition.
- 1928 – The first colour TV program was broadcast in London.
- 1962 – President of France announced the independence of Algeria.
- 1968 – After the release of figures of US soldiers killed in the war on Vietnam, the pressure to stop the war has increased.
- 1972 – India’s Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and J.A. Bhutto of Pakistan signed an unarmed agreement regarding Kashmir.
- 1979 – The construction of the famous Vidyasagar Setu in Calcutta by the name of the second Howrah bridge began.
- 1990 – 1,426 Haj pilgrims died due to a stampede in Mecca Madina.
- 1992 – Earth Conference in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) begins.
- 1999 – The election of the 50-member parliament in Kuwait is over on 3 July.
- 2004 – Maria Sharapova of Russia becomes Wimbledon winner.
- 2005 – Mahesh Bhupathi and Mary Pierce win Wimbledon mixed pair title
- 2006 – Indian cricket team wins for the first time after 35 years on the Caribbean island.
- 2007 – English writer Salman Rushdie announces divorce from his wife Padma Lakshmi.
- 2008 – New Delhi’s Dalit Conference begins.
- 2012 – 25 killed, 40 injured in Iraq bomb blast on 3 July.
- 2013 – Egyptian army coups over President Mohamed Morsi
Read more: Important events of 2 July
Born on 3 July
- 1616 – Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan son Shah Shuja (Mughal) was born.
- 1883 – The author of the Republic of Kafka was born.
- 1897 – Hansa Mehta, Indian social worker, freedom fighter and educationist.
- 1918 – S. V. Ranga Rao, Indian actor, director, and producer
- 1922 – Famous Guillaume Cornelis Van Beverloo painter named after Cornell
- 1927 – Ken Russell / Men / Director / Great Britain
- 1941 – Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Malayalam Movie Maker
- 1952 – Amit Kumar, Indian film playback singer, actor, director, music director and musician
- 1962 – Hollywood’s famous actor Tom Cruise was born.
- 1980 – Harbhajan Singh Indian international cricketer
- 1986 – Kratika Sanger / Female / Actress / India
- 1995 – Jaipal Singh Kumpawat Ramasani (Marwar)
Died on 3 July
- 1650 – Namdev, Marathi poet of Nirgun, passed away
- 1904 – Theodor Herzl, the founder of International Zionism, died.
- 1971 – Famous singer Jim Morrison of American rock band ‘The Doors’ died
- 1982 – Kedar Pandey is an Indian politician and has been Chief Minister of Bihar.
- 1989 – Former President of the Andrii Gromyko, Soviet Union died on 3 July.
- 1996 – Raj Kumar, Hindi film actor passes away
- 1999 – Param Vir Chakra honoured Indian soldier Manoj Kumar Pandey received Veergati in the battle of Kargil.
- 2015 – Yogesh Kumar Sabharwal, the 36th Chief Justice of India, passed away
- 2016 – Noel Darlin Neal was an American actress
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Women’s Day (Myanmar)
- Emancipation Day (United States Virgin Islands)
Also, know this day in other months: