4 August (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 4 August
- Supernova in Cassiopeia was seen in 1181.
- Britain’s Prince Edward defeated Simon de Montfort in 1265 in the Battle of Evesham
- Johann Mauritius Dutch was made governor of Brazil in 1636.
- There was a sea fight between the Netherlands and England in 1666.
- The war ended in 1791 between Ottoman and Habsburg after the Sustiva Agreement.
- The British Red Cross Society was founded in 1870.
- Colombia adopted the Constitution in 1886.
- In the First World War, Germany declared Belgium and Britain in 1914 against Germany.
- During World War I German forces captured Warsaw in 1915.
- Child labour law was enacted in 1930 in the European country of Belgium.
- The Indian Government Act 1935 got the Queen’s approval.
- Supreme Court in Japan was established in 1947.
- In 1954, the Pakistani government agreed to adopt the song “Pak Sarzamin” written by Hafeez Jalandhar as a national anthem.
- India’s first nuclear research began in the reactor ‘Apsara’ in 1956.
- In southern China, in 1964, the United States was defeated during the war in America and
- Vietnam in the Tonkin Bay. America started a war with North Vietnam on this pretext.
- The world’s longest Nagarjuna Sea dam was constructed in 1967.
- The United States conducted nuclear tests in 1967 in Nevada.
- Mohammad Khatami became the President of Iran in 1997.
- In 1999, China refused to allow regular flights of U.S. military aircraft to enter Hong Kong.
- A strategic agreement was reached in Russia and North Korea in 2001.
- ‘NASA’ named Alix Super Computer Casey ‘Kalpana Chawla’ in 2004.
- NASA launched a US space shuttle named Phoenix Mars Lander for the discovery of Mars in 2007.
- In 2008, the Government granted Navratna status to Indian Shipping Corporation (SCI).
Read More: Important events of 3 August
Born on 4 August
- Rana Uday Singh, a father of Mewar and Maharana Pratap, was born in 1522 AD.
- Musicologist Louise Luli was born on August 4, 1664.
- In the Indian history, the famous Maratha warrior Sadashivrao Bho was born on 4 August 1730 AD.
- The famous British poet Percy Bysshe Shelley was born in 1792.
- Ireland’s mathematician William Rowan Hamilton was born on 1805.
- The famous Indian lawyer and social worker Ferozeshah Mehranji Mehta was born in 1845.
- Hans Christian Anderson, who wrote beautiful stories for children, was born in 1875.
- Literary Indu Prakash Pandey was born in 1924.
- Actor, singer, director Kishore Kumar was born in 1929.
- Indian cricketer Naren Tamhah was born on 1931.
- America’s first black and 44th President Barack Obama was born in 1961.
Died on 4 August
- Kashi Prasad Jaiswal, a well-known scholar of India’s famous historian and archaeologist, died in 1937.
- Orissa’s female chief minister and writer Nandini Satpathy passed away on 2006.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Coast Guard Day
- Sisters’ Day
Also, know this day in other months: