4 July (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 4 July
- 1760 – Death of Mir Jafar son Miran dies at the edge of river Gandak.
- 1776 – The United States declared its independence on 4 July.
- 1789 – East India Company sign pact with Tipu Sultan and Nizam against Peshwa
- 1881 – Beginning of toy train between Siliguri and Darjeeling.
- 1827 – Slavery was abolished in New York.
- 1886 – France gives America the Statue of Liberty gift.
- 1886 – Canada first intercontinental train arrives in Port Moody, British Columbia.
- 1898 – Birth of former Acting Prime Minister Gulzarilal Nanda in India.
- 1902 – Swami Vivekananda passed away.
- 1916 – Birth of famous actress Naseem Banu of Hindi films.
- 1934 – Leo Szilard patented the chain reaction of a nuclear bomb.
- 1947 – Indian Parliament has proposed a bill in the British Parliament under which the country was divided into India and Pakistan.
- 1982 – Bollywood legend Bharat Vyas passes away
- 1986 – Famous cricketer Sunil Gavaskar records of playing 115 Test matches.
- 1996 – President of Russia Boris Yeltsin re-elected President for four years.
- 1997 – US space shuttle conservator landed on the surface of Mars on 4 July.
- 1999 – Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi win the men’s doubles title at Wimbledon.
- 2006 – Death of Gerhard Fischer (diplomat), the President of the Gandhi Peace Prize and Former German Ambassador to India
- 2008 – Around eight years later, the first aircraft of regular direct flight between China’s mainland and Taiwan landed at Taoyuan International Airport in Taiwan.
- 2012 – European nuclear research organization CERN announced the discovery of Higgs boson particles.
- 2013 – 12 people were killed and 60 injured in US firing incident in Chicago city on 4 July.
- 2015- Chile won the Copa America football title for the first time.
Read more: Important events of 3 July
Born on 4 July
- 1842 – Hermann Cohen / philosopher / Germany
- 1872 – Calvin Coolidge / lawyer and politician / American / 30th President of the United States
- 1902 – Meyer Lansky / gangster / American
- 1988 – Angelique Boyer / actress / French-Mexican
Died on 4 July
- 1902 – Vivekananda/ monk and saint / India
- 2012 – Eric Sykes/actor, director, and screenwriter /England
- 2009 – Steve McNair / football player / American
- 2009 – Brenda Joyce / actress /American
- 2003 – André Claveau / singer / French
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- Independence Day of the United States from Great Britain in 1776.
- Liberation Day (Rwanda)
- Republic Day (Philippines)
Also, know this day in other months: