8 August (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 8 August
- France announced the war against England in 1549.
- In Denmark and Sweden on August 8, 1700, signed the peace treaty.
- The Red Cross in Geneva was founded in 1864.
- a. T. Marshall patented the refrigerator in 1899.
- The first Davis Cup series in Boston took place in 1900.
- Under the Rawalpindi Treaty, Britain recognized the independence of Afghanistan in 1919.
- Indian National Congress passed ‘Quit India’ in 1942 in Bombay(now Mumbai) session.
- US President Truman signed the UN Charter in 1945.
- In World War II, the Soviet Union announced the war against Japan in 1945.
- Pakistan approved its national flag in 1947.
- For the first time since Independence, the Central Government had to face defeat in the Lok Sabha elections in 1967.
- The meeting of Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand was organized in 1967 to establish a group of Southeast Asian countries.
- The return of the Russian army after the nine-year war in Afghanistan began in 1988.
- The United Nations Security Council approved the membership of North and South Korea in 1991.
- People and representatives of China and Taiwan signed the cooperation agreement in 1994.
- To be independent, Taiwan withdrew from the referendum plan in 2002.
- Fifteen small countries supported Taiwan’s membership in the United Nations in 2003.
- Japan won Asia Cup football by defeating China in 2004.
- Xanana Gusmao became Prime Minister of East Timor in 2007.
- In Gansu province of Tibet, 2010, after landslides, 100 people died and about 2000 people went missing.
- Tejaswini Sawant became the first Indian woman to achieve this achievement by winning a gold medal in the 50 m competition of World Shooting Competition held in Munich in 2010.
- Pakistan has killed 28 people in a suicide bombing in Quetta in 2013.
Read More: Important events of 7 August
Born on 8 August
- Classical music singer Siddeshwari Devi was born in 1908.
- Indian writer Bhishma Sahni was born in 1915
- Indian Medical Scientists Vullimiri Ramalingaswamy was born in 1921.
- Indian cricketer Dilip Sardesai was born in 1940.
- Famous Indian politician Kapil Sibal was born in 1948.
- The twelfth and thirteenth Lok Sabha member, Prasanna Acharya was born in 1949.
- Indian cricketer Sudhakar Rao was born in 1952.
- Indian cricketer Abe Kuruvilla was born in 1968.
Died on 8 August
- In 1968-1969, Indian National Congress President S. Nijalingappa died in 2000.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- International Cat Day
- Happiness Happens Day
- Bowling Day
Also, know this day in other months: