Important events of 8 June
- 1655 – Jews rebelled against Rome
- 1658– Aurangzeb occupied the fort of Agra.
- 1557 – England declares war on France.
- 1824 – Noah Cushing painted the washing machine.
- 1924 – George Mallory and Andrew Irwin looked at the summit of Mt. Everest for the last 12:50 pm by his team’s Noel Odel. They were never seen after this.
- 1936 – Indian State Radio Network “Indian State Broadcasting Service” is renamed All India Radio.
- 1937 – Feeding the world’s largest flower in a Botanical Garden in New York City in the US.
- 1940– The discovery of the 93rd element of the Neptunium was announced.
- 1948 – India’s first airline, Air India, started air services between India and the UK.
- 1949 – Siam name changed to Thailand.
- 1955 – In the first trial of its kind, a man in Britain was sentenced to try to rape another man in the UK.
- 1963 – American Heart Association Agency (AHA) becomes the first agency to campaign against cigarettes.
- 1970 – Bullets were shot over a few kilometres from the country’s capital on Shah Hussain of Jordan. Although Shah Hussain had escaped in the attack, his vehicle’s cunning was reportedly injured.
- 1982 – 135 people died due to the crash of the Brazilian Aircraft B-727.
- 1983 – In the UK general elections under the leadership of Margaret Thatcher, the Conservative Party secured a majority for the second time taking 397 seats against the opposition Labor Party’s 209 seats.
- 1992 – World Oceans Day was celebrated for the first time in Brazil.
- 1997 – In the French Open tennis competition in Paris, India’s Mahesh Bhupathi made history by winning the mixed doubles title.
- 2014 – Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova defeated Simona Halep to win French Open title.
Read more: Important events of 7 June
Born on 8 June
- 1933 – Joan Rivers / Female / Actor / United States
- 1955 – Tim Berners Lee is the inventor of the World Wide Web, current director of the World Wide Web Association and a researcher.
- 1957 – Dimple Kapadia Indian actress was born.
- 1975 – Shilpa Shetty, Indian actress and producer was born.
Died on 8 June
- 2009 – Famous screenwriter, theatrical director, poet and actor Habib Tanveer died.
National/International Holidays and Observations List
- World Ocean Day
- World Brain Tumor Day