20 May (TODAY IN HISTORY) Collected facts include the people born today, the death of famous persons, war conflicts, freedom of any country, the invention of new technology, change of power, important national and international day etc.
Important events of 20 May
- After the discovery of the sea route of India, the Portuguese explorer reached Vasco da Gama, Calicut (now Kozhikode) in 1498.
- San Francisco’s businessman Levi Strauss and tailor Jacob Davis were patented to make the world’s first jeans in 1873 on this day.
- The British police were allowed to use guns and shells of tear gas against armed criminals and dangerous persons in 1965.
- In Egypt, almost 100 people lost their lives after the crash of Pakistani Boeing aircraft “720-B” in 1965.
- In the 1983 car bomb blast in South Africa’s capital Pretoria, at least 16 people were killed and more than 130 were injured.
- A successful launch of unmanned space ‘Spectra‘ by Russia in 1995.
- Kurdish rebel leader Samdim Saqik was sentenced to death in 1999.
- In Fiji, the leader of gunmen George Spett took oath as the interim prime minister of the country in 2000.
- In Afghanistan, the Taliban created dress codes in 2001 for different identities of Hindus.
- Pakistan banned extremist organization Hizbul Mujahideen in 2003.
- China said in 2006 that Taiwan is not eligible for World Health Organization membership.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh dedicates the oil refinery to the cost of thousands of crores in Bina, Madhya Pradesh in 2011.
- Jharkhand climber Premlata Agarwal made a new history in the field of mountaineering, giving the distinction of becoming the oldest Indian woman to climb Mount Everest, the world’s highest mountain peak in 2011.
- In 2012, 27 people died in the earthquake in Italy.
Read more: Important events of 19 May.
Born on 20 May
Let us know further which person was born in history today.
- Indian spiritual guru Chandrashekharendra Saraswati was born in 1894.
- Famous Hindi poet Sumitranandan Pant was born in 1900.
- Famous sculptor Ramkinkar Badge, who was awarded the Padma Bhushan, was born in 1910.
- A Pir Singh was born in 1918 in the Veer Amar Shahidas of the Indian Army.
- Goh Chok Tong, the second Prime Minister of Singapore, was born in 1941.
- Indian actor and singer, NT Ram Rao Jr. were born in 1983.
Death on 20 May
On the 20th of May, knows about the person who says goodbye to this world, whose name is recorded in today’s history.
- Malhar Rao Holkar, the originator of the Holkar dynasty of Indore died in 1766.
- Vipin Chandra Pal, a father of ‘revolutionary ideas’ in India, died on 20 May 1932.
- Famous freedom fighter and Andhra Pradesh’s first Chief Minister T. Prakasam died in 1957
Gaya Prasad Shukla, famous poet of Brajbhasha died in 1972.
- A famous humanist and feminist scholar Leela Dubey passed away on 20 May 2012.
- Rajkumar Shukla, one of the prominent people of freedom fighters and Champaran Satyagraha, died in 1929.